Saturday 12 May 2012

A scary step

I've done two things today that I'm proud of. First, I mowed my lawn. That might not sound like much, but between illness, holidays and torrential rain, I hadn't been able to do it this year until now. That meant it was a jungle that really needed to be attacked with a machete, instead of my flimsy Flymo. But I did it. It was so wet that now the lawn looks like it's been nibbled by a rabbit with most of its teeth missing, but it's still an improvement.

The other thing I did was to email my first three chapters to a friend from my writing group. That's definitely the most scary thing I've done in a long time. I didn't want to do it - I'm terribly self-conscious about showing my work to people I know - but I had a stern word with myself about needing my MS to be the best it can possibly be before I send it off to Mills & Boon. As much as I really don't want to hear about all the bits that need improving (or, heaven forbid, scrapping and completely rewriting) I've just become too familiar with my work now, and blind to its faults. It definitely needs a fresh pair of eyes.

But I know I'm going to cringe next time I see my friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment