Friday 10 February 2012

Always back up your work...

...and back up your backup!

I had a heart-stopping moment yesterday, when the touch-pad of my beloved mac suddenly became unresponsive. I could turn my laptop on and see everything on the screen, but I couldn't click on anything. Disaster!

To make matters worse, I'd done a lot of work this week and forgotten to back up the five chapters that I'd edited. All I could think of, as I desperately tried restarting several times, was that I was going to lose a whole week's work if I couldn't get it going again. I don't mind admitting that I had a bit of a cry.

Anyway, once the moment of self-pity was over, and I'd quelled the urge to go and buy enough chocolate to undo all of last month's diet in one fell swoop, I did some research on the technical support forums (thank heavens for my iphone!). One suggestion was to remove the battery pack because sometimes the battery can swell and press against the touch-pad. I didn't for one moment think it would work, but I tried it and it did! The first thing I did was to back up the new chapters onto my pen drive, and into my Dropbox folder. From now on I'm going to work directly from my Dropbox folder, so even if my laptop explodes, I won't lose any work.

It wouldn't be so bad, if I hadn't once worked as an IT consultant. I really should know better...

No comments:

Post a Comment